Ways to honor the memory and legacy of Congressman John Lewis in 2020:
- Simply put, everyone vote!
- Contact your elected officials and urge them to vote for the John Lewis Act (Voting Rights Renewal Act).
- Register to Vote in 2020 (deadline October 19, 2020 – PA).
- Vote by mail, asap, deadlines for the November 3 General Election:
5pm October 27 – Applications must be Received by your county election office.
8pm November 3 – VOTED BALLOTS must be RECEIVED by your county election office – postmarks are not enough.
- Go to the polls with a friend and vote (being mindful of your safety – COVID-19).
- Host intergenerational conversations among your relatives about the right to vote (include children).
- Help Seniors to vote by mail, know the process, know the deadlines, and help them navigate the process.
- Send out information on social media platforms encouraging the younger generations to vote.
- Complete the 2020 Census.
- Encourage peaceful non-violent protest in open spaces (Not Federal Government Property) and be mindful of COVID-19.
- Encourage the News Media to cover non-violent protests and not escalate existing tensions.
- Speak with the younger generations and tell them of the life and passion of John Lewis.
- Talk to one another about the civil rights struggles of the past and the current civil rights struggle. Discuss the similarities and the differences.
- Host a family virtual gathering the day of the election and pray for the nation.
“The vote is the most powerful nonviolent tool we have.” John Lewis
Please read and/or listen to a few of the last words of John Lewis:
Compiled for circulation by the Philadelphia Baptist Association